Christmas is right around the corner, which means we all are scrambling to figure out what our kids and significant others want. We drag our feet through stores and our fingers through pages of stores “Christmas Page” books. This year, I’m going to try and help you with the gamer on your list. These last 2 months of the year normally garner a really nice release set of games for the holiday season.
Gaming companies are really good about setting up their releases for the optimal holiday run. Most of us parents look at anything November 1st or later as a christmas buy. So my kids are stock raving about some of these games while I smile knowing how excited they will be on December 25th.
I’m going to supply a list of all games releasing during this time frame (November 1 – December 20) and then I will break down my top 5 games for Adults and Kids. So get your pen ready (and your wallet) let’s go SHOPPING!
|Root Letter||PS4, PS Vita||November 1|
|Seraph||Xbox One, PS4, PC||November 1|
|Super Dungeon Bros.||Xbox One, PS4, PC||November 1|
|Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare||Xbox One, PS4, PC||November 4|
|Football Manager 2017||PC||November 4|
|Mario Party Star Rush||3DS||November 4|
|Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization||PS4, Vita||November 4|
|Eagle Flight||PlayStation VR||November 8|
|Harvest Moon: Skytree Village||3DS||November 8|
|Robinson: The Journey||PlayStation VR||November 8|
|PlayStation 4 Pro||PS4||November 10|
|Dishonored 2||Xbox One, PS4, PC||November 11|
|Overcooked Gourmet Edition||Xbox One, PS4||November 15|
|Watch Dogs 2||Xbox One, PS4||November 15|
|The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series – A New Frontier Episode 1||Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS4, PC||November 15|
|Assassin’s Creed: Ezio Collection||Xbox One, PS4||November 17|
|Planet Coaster||PC||November 17|
|Pokemon Sun / Moon||3DS||November 18|
|Killing Floor 2||PS4, PC||November 18|
|The Amnesia Collection||PS4||November 22|
|We Sing||Xbox One, PS4||November 22|
|Darksiders: Warmastered Edition||Xbox One, PS4||November 29|
|Final Fantasy XV||Xbox One, PS4||November 29|
|The Crew: Calling All Units||Xbox One, PS4, PC||November 29|
|Watch Dogs 2||PC||November 29|
|Steep||Xbox One, PS4, PC||December 2|
|Dead Rising 4||Xbox One, PC||December 6|
|The Last Guardian||PS4||December 6|
|Eagle Flight||Vive||December 20|
So those are all the games between now and Christmas that will release at least as of now. Keep in mind these are AAA title games and some well supported Indie games only, so indie games may also release during this time, but will not be on this particular list. Let’s get to my picks for the top 5 must haves for Christmas.
- Watch_Dogs 2 | Set within a fictionalized version of San Francisco, the game is played from a third-person perspective and its world is navigated on-foot or by vehicle. Players control Marcus Holloway, a hacker who works with the hacking group DedSec to take down the city’s ctOS 2.0, an advanced surveillance system. There are multiple ways to complete missions, and each successful assignment increases the follower count of DedSec. Cooperative multiplayer allows for competitive one-on-one combat and connecting with other players in order to neutralize a player who is actively causing havoc.
- Sword Art Online: Hallow Realization | Hollow Realization takes place in Sword Art: Origin, a restoration of Aincrad titled Ainground, with intentions of research and development in the year 2026, three years after the original Sword Art Online event. However, unlike in Sword Art Online, Aincrad is one large floor, instead of multiple, while the castle itself was renamed to Ainground, where several monsters can be battled. The main character of the game is a 14-year old AI, known as Premiere, that travels with Kirito.
- Dishonored 2 | The series takes place in the fictional Empire of the Isles with the majority of Dishonored 2 set in the coastal city of Karnaca. After Empress Emily Kaldwin is deposed by an “otherworldly usurper”, the player may choose between playing as either Emily or her bodyguard and father Corvo Attano as they attempt to reclaim the throne. Both Emily and Corvo employ their own array of supernatural abilities. They can alternatively decide to forfeit them altogether. There are a multitude of ways to succeed in each given mission, from stealth to purposeful violent conflict.
- Final Fantasy XV | Final Fantasy XV takes place on the fictional world of Eos. All the world’s countries—bar the kingdom of Lucis—are under the dominion of the empire of Niflheim. Noctis Lucis Caelum, heir to the Lucian throne, goes on a quest to retake his homeland and its magical crystal after it is seized by Niflheim on the eve of peace negotiations between the two nations. The game features an open-world environment and action-based battle system similar to the Kingdom Hearts series and Type-0, incorporating the ability to switch weapons and other elements such as vehicle travel and camping.
- Dead Rising 4 | Frank West returns in an all-new chapter of one of the most popular zombie game franchises of all time.It’s the holiday season in Willamette, Colorado and a mysterious outbreak has overrun the Willamette Memorial Megaplex Mall and surrounding town with dangerous and deadly predators. Join Frank West as you explore a vast, open world sandbox filled with dangerous new zombies and a million ways to kill them as you seek to uncover the truth behind the outbreak – or die trying.
- Mario Party: Star Rush | Star Rush is a handheld party video game in the Mario Party series based on group minigame events that follow a board game concept. Star Rush’s main change to the franchise is its replacement of turn-based gameplay with the ability to move at will, simultaneously, and without set paths on the game board. The game’s main mode is “Toad Scramble”, in which all players play as Toad from the Mario franchise. Other Mario series characters can be recruited to play on the player’s team, but are not themselves playable. Star Rush features boss battles where players compete to deal the most damage to the boss. Up to 4 players can join a common multiplayer game when near other players through the Nintendo 3DS handheld console’s local wireless mode. The game is also compatible with 7 of Nintendo’s Amiibo figurines.
- Pokemon Sun/Moon | Each game follows the journey of a young Pokémon trainer (and the trainer’s friends) as they train Pokémon. This time, the game takes place in the Alola region—based on Hawaii—with the object of the game being to thwart the schemes of the nefarious criminal organization Team Skull, all while attempting to challenge various Pokémon trainers of gradually increasing difficulty. Sun and Moon will introduce several dozen new Pokémon species, and includes new features such as Alolan forms of previous generation Pokémon, powerful moves known as Z-Moves, updated battle and training mechanics, and improved polygonal 3D graphics. The games will also adopt the previously introduced battle mechanic known as Mega Evolution, which was first introduced in Pokémon X and Y. Although Sun and Moon are mostly independent of each other, both feature largely the same plot, and while either can be played separately, trading Pokémon between the two games is allowed.
- Skylanders: Imaginators | In ancient times, the Ancients used “Mind Magic”, a powerful force, to create Skylands. Realizing that the magic would be easily misused by villainous people, they decided to protect it and hide it in an unknown place. However, years afterward, Kaos, discovers this force and attempts to utilize it to create the world’s greatest villains; a new army called the Doomlanders. Portal Masters, who are extremely concerned about Kaos’ act, decided to create their own army, the Imaginators with their own imagination, and that they would be trained by the Senseis, powerful class masters sent by Eon. They must work together to stop Kaos and bring peace back to Skylands.
- Harvest Moon : Skytree Village | Times have changed in the land known as the Oasis of the Harvest Goddess. Many people used to live in Skytree Village, and the land was lush and green. However, the power of the Harvest Goddess gradually began to wane, and the land became parched and dry. With a completely new story, players will be challenged to restore the seven legendary Skytrees that make the town so iconic and bring power and prosperity to the land around them. Along the way, they’ll meet a new cast of characters (with a few returning familiar faces), alongside a brand new art style, new character models, and more.
- The Last Guardian | The Last Guardian is a third-person perspective game that combines action-adventure and puzzle elements. The player controls the unarmed boy who can run, jump, climb and perform other actions similar to the gameplay in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. The player may also need to use the environment to silently move around or defeat shadow-being guards, though initially the boy is weaponless. The guards, although slow-moving, can capture the boy, and if the player is unable to free the character in time, the game will be over.
So there you go, these are my top 5 games for both Adults/Teens and Kids for this holiday season. Now keep in mind each person is of their own mind and should research each game on this list before purchasing for anyone under the age of 18. The one catch on the kids list is “The Last Guardian” the director of this game has a history of sad endings in his games. However, he is quoted as stating “The ending is open-ended and up for you to determine” this statement makes me think that one of the 2 characters simply isn’t present at the end of the game, not dead but just not there.
What do you guys think of our list? Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments below.